Victoria College of Art COVID-19 Safety Plan
VCA prioritizes the health of our staff, instructors, students, and visitors. Our Safety Plan aims to prevent the spread of COVID-19 as we carefully and gradually return to class.
First and foremost, our team will continue to monitor any COVID-19 developments and follow the guidance from the Provincial Health Officer, WorkSafe BC, the Go-Forward Guidelines for the postsecondary sector and the WorkSafe BC Guidelines for returning to in-person activities. The COVID-19 pandemic is constantly changing, and we will be updating our policies and protocols accordingly as circumstances dictate.
Our campus in Victoria will be open from 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. as of September 1, 2021, to limited staff and students; any applicants are by appointment only. Meanwhile, all classes will take place online.
For our location, we have implemented the following protocols.
- Prior to coming in, everyone must conduct a self-assessment online. If any of the following COVID-19 symptoms are present, we ask you not to come in and seek medical consultation. We will cancel or reschedule your appointment by phone.
- When a student arrives in Canada, they must take a COVID-19 test before leaving the airport and spend 3 days in quarantine at a federal government-authorized hotel. With a clear test result, the student can proceed to the quarantine site identified in their quarantine plan. Ten-days into their quarantine, the student will use a take-home test provided at their arrival in Canada. A further clear result is required before leaving quarantine at 14 days. Details on these requirements, and the requirements for travelers arriving at land border crossings, are available online. Click here.
- Additionally, please do not come to VCA if you have any of the following symptoms:
- New or worsening cough
- Shortness of breath
- New muscle aches or headache
- Sore throat
- Travelled outside of Canada within the last 14 days
- Close contact of a person who tested positive for COVID-19.
Symptoms can range from mild to severe. Most people with COVID-19 have mild illness, but symptoms can sometimes suddenly worsen in a few days. People infected with COVID-19 can also experience gastrointestinal symptoms such as diarrhea, nausea and vomiting a few days after the onset of the above symptoms. To ensure the safety of our staff, we require everyone to bring a mask or face covering. It must be worn for the duration of the visit in our building. All visitors are encouraged to wash their hands or use hand sanitizer provided at reception. Physical distancing (of 2 meters or 6 feet) is mandatory. Signage is posted in the building with capacity limits for each classroom, common areas and office.
In addition, everyone is expected to practice the Core Measures for Personal Self-care to reduce transmission:
- No handshaking
- Practice good hygiene (frequent handwashing with soap and water and use of hand sanitizers, avoid touching your face, respiratory etiquette, disinfect frequently touched surfaces)
- Always maintain social distancing of two meters upon arrival, during meal breaks and on departure.
If Faculty, staff, or students develop symptoms while at the campus:
- Separate the symptomatic individual from others in a supervised area and direct the symptomatic individual to return to their place of residence. Arrangements for transportation should be coordinated if required. If symptoms persist, the individual should be instructed to contact 8-1-1 or their local healthcare provider for further direction.
- Staff responsible for facility cleaning must clean and disinfect the space where the individual was separated and any areas used by them (e.g., classroom, bathroom, common areas).
If Faculty, staff, or students test positive for COVID-19, someone in their household or have had close contact with someone who tested positive for COVID-19, or experience symptoms consistent with COVID-19:
- Call or email the campus: VCA 250-598-5422 (email@example.com)
- Program Coordinator: Nancy Ruffolo (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Self-isolate for a minimum of 14 days to prevent the spread of the disease. Return when symptoms of VCA COVID 19 Safety Plan are no longer present- unless otherwise advised by the provincial health authorities. *If you have tested positive for COVID-19, you will be required to self-isolate for a minimum of 14 days, track and report your symptoms, and be retested before coming back to the campus. Testing, tracing, care information: BCCDC’s Testing Information Link
Further Protocols for Campus Staff Building Access
- Staggered start and end times will be implemented to afford space for entry and exit locations.
- While onsite and in common areas, physical distancing of at least 2 metres will be maintained.
- Hand sanitizer will be made available to everybody entering the campus
- Signage will indicate to employees, students, or visitors exhibiting COVID-like symptoms are not allowed to enter the office building. Workplace Behavior
- Alternate, staggered, or flexible shifts will be added to reduce the risk of exposure and maintain the physical distancing requirement.
- Meetings will be distanced or arranged via Zoom
- Cohorts will work in groups of 4-6 (as per circumstance to assist in reducing transmission) Workstations
- If office attendance is required, staff will be in a location that allows them to put more distance between themselves and their co-workers or applicants.
- Workstations will be at least 2 metres apart and away from communal pathways.
- Communal pathways will be one directional to reduce personal interactions.
- If necessary, plexiglass shields will be between workstations.
- Where possible in-person meetings will be through plexi-glass, masks will be mandatory.
- Where possible, meetings will primarily be held by Zoom. (teleconference, video conference.
- Communal pathways will be one directional to reduce personal interactions.
- Staff onsite will be reduced to3-4.
- Staggered break times will be implemented
- Tables and chairs in the lunchroom and communal areas will be removed and distanced
- Student lunches will be recommended to be held in private or offsite to avoid communal foods
- Doors will remain open throughout the workday to reduce contact with door handles.
- Shared equipment should be cleaned and disinfected after each use.
- Handwashing and Sanitizing will be implemented and encouraged after coming into contact with public items.
- Visitors will be welcome by appointment and staggered to ensure all safety protocols will be adhered to
- Safety protocols and policy will be communicated before entry by email or phone
- Visitors will be notified of the signage and hand sanitizing stations
- The Waiting area is arranged to maintain physical distancing
- Hand sanitizer will be facing them at a desk upon arrival
- Non-essential communal items, such as candy, magazines, and complimentary phone chargers will be removed
- Delivery zones will be clearly identified and limited to receivers and deliverers only
- Contactless delivery will be requested to maintain physical distancing requirement
Cleaning and Disinfecting
- VCA is cleaned and disinfected in accordance with the BCCDC’s Cleaning and Disinfectants for Public Settings.
- General cleaning and disinfecting of surfaces occurs at least once a day with disinfectants.
- Proper cleaning and disinfecting occur between class shifts
- Doorknobs, keyboards, chairs, tables, and supplies are disinfected after use.
- Students and Instructors disinfect their own tables and chairs upon arriving and leaving.
- Washrooms are cleaned and disinfected regularly and indicate capacity limit.
- More frequent cleaning and disinfecting occurs on high-contact surfaces, such as doorknobs, flushes, faucets, sinks, dispensers.
- Soap and sanitizer are always available onsite
- Shared items, such as office supplies, coffee machines, microwaves, and waterstations, are cleaned after each use to avoid cross-contamination.
- Staff, students, and visitors are made aware of the proper hand washing technique with soap and water.
- Hand sanitizer will be used upon arrival, before and after breaks, before and after eating, before and after touching shared items, after using washroom, after handling garbage, and before leaving the College.
- Hand sanitizing stations are located throughout the campus, at entry points, hallways, service areas, and washrooms to facilitate hand hygiene.
- Hand sanitizers must be checked regularly to ensure they are not empty.
- Adequate hand-washing facilities, including soap and paper towels are provided.
- Signage of proper hand-washing techniques are displayed in all washrooms, provided by the Public Health Agency of Canada.
- Respiratory and cough etiquette signage must be displayed in all classrooms and common areas.
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Staff, students, and visitors are required to wear a mask when physical distancing is difficult to maintain, such as in common areas, and washrooms.
- Faculty, staff, and students may be experiencing anxiety, depression or other mental health challenges arising from the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Resources are available to support the mental health and wellbeing of students including Here2Talk offering mental-health counselling available 24/7.
- Culturally aware crisis support is available 24/7 to Indigenous people in B.C. through the KUU-US crisis response service.
- The Province offers a range of virtual mental health programs and services to support mental health and wellness
An Arrival Plan for International Students has been created to manage all arriving international students. The federal guidance is to implement a 14-day quarantine requirement for all International students in compliance with the Quarantine Act.
The Victoria College of Art is committed to reducing the risk from COVID-19 for our students, staff members, and community at large. For more information on this, please consult our Risk Reduction Plan.
In an outbreak has been detected, we have also created a Contingency Plan.
COVID-19 Visitor Log VCA COVID 19 Safety Plan
All staff, students, and visitors are required to complete a temperature check.
Please walk towards the temperature check device and follow the steps.
All visitors to the College must register and complete the COVID-19 screening checklist.
VCA COVID19 – International Student Check In Sheet
Please download, print and complete our International Student Check In Sheet
SAMPLES OF SIGNAGE